IEEE SSIT Kerala
The Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT) of the IEEE is concerned with how technology impacts the world, and with how the application of technology can improve the world. The Society focuses on issues such as: humanitarian engineering; environmental issues including climate change, green technologies, and sustainable design; privacy and security; other economic, health, and safety implications of technology; engineering ethics and professional responsibility; engineering education including k-12 and engineering education in social implications of technology; history of technology; public policy related to engineering, technology and science; health and healthcare technologies and impact; reliable energy and social issues related to energy, and social issues of information technology and telecommunications.
Official Facebook Page : https://www.facebook.com/IEEESSITKerala/
- IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, an award-winning journal containing both peer-reviewed and general interest articles.
- The International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS), held annually [2016 Oct 21/22 Trivandrum, Kerala, India]
Support and sponsorship of additional conferences.
- An active network of SSIT chapters spanning the globe.
- Awarding of the periodic IEEE Carl Barus Award for Outstanding Service in the Public Interest.
- A Guest Lecturer program on critical topics of interest.
- Online discussion of social impacts of technology through forums, website, blogs, and social media.
- Support for members who speak, publish and advocate on SSIT topics within the Society or as participants in other IEEE societies and professional activities.
IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society, the annual flagship event of IEEE SSIT is scheduled on 21st to 22nd of October this year in Trivandrum, Kerala, India. It provides a multi- disciplinary platform for practitioners and researchers to collaborate exchange experiences and good practices and to discuss essential implications of emerging technologies. The much awaited Conference of the year, ISTAS 2K16 is impeccably set and aims for an anticipated outcome. Since ISTAS is supposed to be held in the mystical state of the nation, the location holds spectacular attractions for the participants and the nature in itself being the healer shall set the intellects to trail the righteous paths of their technical arena. For more details visit: http://istas2016.org/
Global Video Contest on Techno Social Issues
SSIT Chapter, IEEE Kerala Section is organizing Global Video Contest on Techno Social Issues. The contest aims to highlight the techno- social issues, particularly case studies on the use of technology to solve real- life problems under certain domains such as:
- Alternative Energy
- Enhancing quality of life of the differently-abled
- Cyber Security
- Net Neutrality
- Enhancing Education
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Environment Protection
- Improving Health
- Climate Change
- Poverty Alleviation & Livelihood Enhancement
- Global Human Development
There are two rounds in the contest, Preliminary and Final. There are prize money for the winners of the preliminary round and the succeeding rounds. The winners shall advance to the in final round.
- Videos, which may include animations and mobile videos as well, are expected to be about 6 minutes or less
- Videos should be submitted in open cross-platform formats such as MP4 or Ogg Theora
- To enable viewing by hearing challenged audiences, all videos should be accompanied by subtitles
- Submissions are open to any individual or group (one per group), provided that there is at least one member of IEEE SSIT in each group that makes a submission
- All submissions shall become the property of IEEE Kerala Section, which may upload the submission in a edited or unedited form to an appropriate free access video sharing site, for the benefit of the global community
- Submissions for the preliminary round shall be accepted until 15 July 2016. Shortlisted candidates shall be intimated by 30 July 2016.
- Submissions are to be made online by uploading to a designated file sharing service (details will be available on the IEEE Kerala Section page on the contest).
- Final submissions are to be made on or before 15 Sep 2016 (or another date duly communicated by the organizers).
- The decisions of the Jury shall be binding on all participants.